Saturday, July 13, 2013

Congés

After a busy week (and then some) it has been great to have some free time with nothing on the schedule. Today I did a tiny bit of work while sitting on the bed in my pajamas, went in search of Prosecco for tomorrow night (no dice but I did get a bottle of Vauvray, a bottle of Lambrusco, and my very own Wine Guy), and then set out with Dr. Winchester to flâner. We went back to the Marais to see the Musée Carnavalet, had lunch, and then I saw him off to visit a friend in Amiens before returning to finish off the Carnavalet and my wanderings around the quartier. I actually walked longer than I meant to--got confused trying to find the bus stop near the Hôtel de Ville and finally had to make for a familiar Métro stop instead. Today I did not take my "big camera" so I have only a few phone pics:

One of the few medieval houses within the city of Paris

The garden and main gate of the Carnavalet, which occupies two hôtels particuliers in the Marais. 

Carnavalet garden

The Carnavalet has lots of interesting stuff but I especially liked the last 2 rooms I went through, which were full of advertisements and shop signs from the 19th century and earlier:

One of a set of 3 signs advertising insurance by showing things you should be insured against (in this case, hail). 

One of two different "À la Tête Noire" (Sign of the Black Head) signs on display. (You can also see all 3 of the insurance signs here.)

Scale model of a diligence or mail-coach. The real thing would have been bigger than I ever imagined them. 

Place de Vosges was very popular today. 

Hôtel de Ville is all dressed up for Bastille Day tomorrow. 

I am going with Dr. Kirk to visit the Louvre (free on 14 juillet!) and see the military flyover at the end of the parade. Then Dr. Carroll is leading a game of pétanque in the afternoon. It's gonna be a great Bastille Day!

À bientôt!

1 comment:

  1. Just love the pic of the medieval houses! Can you imagine what Paris must have looked like then? Interesting about the mail carriages -- I must confess that I have not ever pondered the actual vehicles that conveyed the mail, so glad to see a replica. They must have been similar in England.

    ReplyDelete